COVID-19 Status Update - 4/6/2020 10:30AM
Effective today (April 6), Scott County Customer Service will again be accepting transactions through the drop boxes for tabs, title transfers, disability certificates, duplicate titles and other deputy registrar services. This does not include driver’s license and marriage license applications, as face-to-face transactions are still prohibited.
Please ensure that all transactions left in the drop boxes have a phone number enclosed. Requests will be processed within 24 hours and returned via mail.
Please follow us on Facebook to see our step by step videos on how to process transactions during a building closure. Questions? You can also reach out to us via email email@example.com or call 952-496-8432. We have staff ready and available to answer your questions from 8 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday – Friday.
We apologize for the rapid change in information, but we thank you for your understanding and patience during this difficult time. We appreciate your business.
Save time - pre-apply online for driver’s licenses and IDs
Use the online pre-application to enter a significant portion of your driver’s license, ID or REAL ID information before coming to the driver’s license office. You’ll save time and learn what required documents to bring with you. Pre-apply for your license or ID card now!
A standard driver’s license or ID is acceptable for domestic air travel until October 2020.
Please expect longer wait times due to the new driver’s license requirements. Because of these longer wait times, we may not be able to assist customers who arrive during the final hour of business. Customers will be informed when they arrive if a transaction cannot be completed that day.
- Be at least 15 years old
- Have completed 30 hours of classroom instruction and enrollment in behind-the-wheel instruction
- If you are 18 or older, classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction is not required
- Pass a vision screening and knowledge (written) test
Apply in Person
Apply in person at the Shakopee Customer Service Center
Remember to bring
- One primary and one secondary document from the identification list
- Your social security number if you have one
- If you are under 18, a parent or guardian with proper identification must be present
- Proof of your completed classroom instruction
- Proof of enrollment in behind-the-wheel instruction
- Knowledge test results (Please note we are not a testing facility - see MN DVS Locations for the closest office)
Under 18 limitations
- Supervising driver must be 21 years old or older.
- Every occupant must wear a seat belt or use a child passenger restraint system.
- You may not use, or talk on, a cell phone while driving (with or without a hands-free device).
18 and older limitations
- Supervising driver must be 18 years old or older.
- All passengers must wear a seat belt or use a child passenger restraint system.
$13.25 - valid for two years from the date of application
You can pay with cash, check (payable to Scott County) or credit card. If you pay with a credit card you will be paying a 2.45% convenience fee.