Appeal Process

Steps to Appeal
If I have a dispute with the assessor's value:
  • Collect facts to show why your market value is wrong, (recent appraisal or recent sale of like property)
  • Then contact the Assessor of your city or township
  • Visit the Assessor's office
Then, if still not resolved:
  • Attend the Open Book meeting or Local Board of Appeal & Equalization meeting listed on your Value Notice
  • From the Open Book meeting and the Local Board meeting you can appeal further at the County Board of Appeal & Equalization
Finally, if your concern is still not resolved:
  • You may petition the Minnesota Tax Court
  • Tax Petitions may be filed after you receive your value notice and before April 30 of the year the taxes are payable

Related Documents